When I first turned to the Dark Side I didn’t like tempeh. Now that I’ve been stewing in all things vegan for a while, I’m come to appreciate this little friend.
In this wrap, I think the spread makes a world of difference in the tastiness level. You be the judge.
Ingredients for Spread:
1/2 cup vegan mayo (I like Just Mayo from Hampton Creek)
1/4 cup dried chopped chives (feel free to chop fresh if you like)
1 tablespoons dried dill (ditto with the dill)
Small squeeze of lemon
Pinch of salt & pepper
Mix all this goodness together in a bowl and let sit while you work on the rest of your shtuff.
Ingredients for Wrap:
Sliced cucumber (if you use English cucs you don’t have to peel them)
Whole basil leaves, to taste
Small handful of raw spinach leaves
Hickory flavor tempeh slices (I use 5 slices per wrap)
Huge wraps (I use spinach wraps, get crazy with another flavor if you like). BTW, if you’d prefer to gluten, you can use butter lettuce or romaine leaves instead.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and squirt a squiggle of olive oil to lube the pan so your tempeh doesn’t stick.
- Once the pan is heated, lay the strips on the pan and let gently sizzle for a couple of minutes until they are golden brown and then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Meanwhile, heat your wrap over a high flame (if you have an electric stove, use a flat griddle over medium-high heat) to get it floppy and warm (get your mind out of the gutter).
- Schmear your herb mayo over one half of the wrap and then layer with all your tasty toppings (hot tempeh slices, onion, avocado, tomato, cucumber, basil and spinach).
- Carefully start rolling and make sure you tuck the sides in as you go to create a nice tight burrito so things don’t squirt out all over the place when you bite in.